There are five types of Academic Advisers under the University-wide Academic Advising System:

Position Overview of Academic Advising Role Targeted Students
Faculty Academic Advisers They are from students’ home Faculty and support their advisees throughout the course of their studies at HKU. Undergraduate students as assigned by Faculty.
Faculty Temporary Academic Advisers They are teachers who specialize on helping students to explore major/minor options. Open to all undergraduate students upon request in SIS.
Faculty Student Advisers They are senior students in home Faculties who are appointed and trained to be peer advisers. Services provided to peers studying in the same Faculty. Specific arrangements determined by Faculty.
Residential Student Advisers They are senior students in Halls/Colleges who support hall mates in balancing hall and study demands. Services provided to peers living in Hall. Specific arrangements determined by Hall Wardens and CEDARS.
Academic Advisers in the Academic Advising and Scholarships Office (AASO) They are general advisers to advise students on university regulations, study plans and cross faculty learning opportunities. Open to all undergraduate students.

In addition, each Faculty has appointed an Academic Advising Co-ordinator and an Academic Advising Administrator to oversee the academic advising work in the respective Faculty.